Building an AR-15 rifle from scratch is not difficult, especially if you have the right tools for the job. Usually, an AR-15 has a lower and upper receiver, the firing pin, trigger, and magazine are installed in the lower part, whereas the barrel, bolt carrier group (BCG), and gas system are installed on the upper receiver. Try buying an 80 lower receiver to build your firearm collection. Both these parts are available in the market in assembled form; however, you can build them at home using gun kits and appropriate jigs. To construct an upper receiver, look at the following information.
You will need specific parts to build an upper receiver; following is the complete list of parts you will need;
- The Receiver: There are two types of receivers available in the market, a stripped and an assembled one. If you are a beginner, then go for an assembled one, everything is pointed out, and you just have to drill and install the parts.
- Handguard: It is necessary to install attachments like customized grips or mounting optics.
- BCG: It helps discharge the bullet and control the gun’s recoil.
- Gas Block:It is responsible for firing the shot from the chamber.
- Charging Handle: This cocks the gun before firing the shot.
- Gas tube: It is used to maintain the rifle’s gas system, which is necessary to fire the round.
All these parts make up the upper receiver; therefore, be careful while purchasing them as slight variations will alter the result and overall performance of the weapon.
Building an upper receiver requires proper tools otherwise, you will get the desired results. Following are the tools necessary to build an upper receiver;
- Upper Receiver Block:This will help you to install the components without damaging the receiver.
- Vice: It keeps the component in a firm grip while parts are installed.
- Punch Set: They help in making tiny holes without damaging the equipment.
- Hammer: Get a hammer with a rubber head to avoid damage.
- ½ Wrench: A ½-inch wrench is necessary to tighten the barrel nut.
Always use proper tools when building an upper receiver; otherwise, the parts will not be installed accurately.
Building the Upper Receiver
Firstly, assemble the upper receiver if you have a striped one. Place the component in the vice and install the forward assist. Once done, press the forward assist and install the pin by using the punch set. Now it’s time to install the ejection pin. If the pin already has a c-shaped ring, the installation would be easy; otherwise, use pliers for proper installation.
Now it’s time to install the barrel and gas system. Place the barrel on the receiver and tighten it with the wrench. Now install the gas block by ensuring the larger hole is facing down. Once complete, finish the procedure by installing the handguard.
There you go; this is the complete guide on building an upper receiver using proper tools and parts. Using this guide, you can make the receiver in no time.